God Loves A Cheerful Giver

by What's My Part? on March 23, 2012

2 Corinthians 9:7

A Cheerful Giver-God Loves a Cheerful GiverEach man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

This verse single-handedly sums up the reason Christians are to give. We are to give becauseGod loves a cheerful giver. When Christians freely give, with a gracious heart, we please God.

God is a cheerful giver, and He loves when His children follow in his footsteps. Think about the many blessings God has so richly bestowed on you. He doesn’t bless us because he has to or because he feels obligated to. He gives to us, because He loves us.

In Romans 9:32 it says, He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all–how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things. God was willing to give his own son for our sake, and He didn’t stop there. This verse reminds us that God graciously gives us all things.

From each breath you take, to the house you live in. From your job, to your children, to your ability to read and write, God has graciously given you all that you have, and the ability to do all that you can do. There is nothing given to you that does not flow from the hand of God.

Meditate on his many blessings. Think about the cross, and the suffering that was endured for your sake. Know this of God, he is a gracious God, and he calls us to be gracious as well. He calls us to be cheerful givers, and to freely give to others, as he has done so with us.

When we begin to catch a glimpse of the graciousness bestowed on us as sinners, how can we not desire to please God? How can we not desire to be cheerful givers, and share some of what has so graciously been given to us?

If you love the Lord, strive to be a cheerful giver. Don’t hold back when it comes to giving. In Psalm 84:11 it says, For the Lord God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. He withholds no good thing from us, and we are not to withhold any good thing from those in need.

Lord, please make me a cheerful giver. Help me to freely give to others, and bring glorify to your name. Help me give to others in a way that pleases you, and to be gracious towards others, that I may reflect your graciousness towards me.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Domenic December 17, 2013

Sometimes I start giving out of ritual, but this verse calls us to be cheerful givers. It implies that when we give, we should give with the right attitude. It’s not just about giving. It’s also about being aware of what we have in the Lord and the desire to want to share that with others and give our praise and worship to our God and Savior.

Rod December 15, 2013

There are many places in the Bible where giving is emphasized. God is so very gracious, and He wants us to be gracious as well. Jesus came to serve and to give His life for us, and God calls us to do the same.
Carey, I love what you said, “If you’re not giving, you’re not living.” Very true.

Carey December 14, 2013

My grandmother used to tell me, “If you’re not giving, you’re not living,” and I have always found that true. My life feels much more meaningful when I’m giving to others instead of focusing on gaining things for myself. She was a strong Christian woman who I strive to be like. She loved this verse and lived her life by it.

Charline December 11, 2013

I really enjoyed this. What a great reminder to live our lives giving to others and showing our love to God who has given us unmeasurable gifts.

Tina June 21, 2013

He is so gracious! I love giving because it is a great way to praise and thank the Lord for his graciousness to me.

Janet March 14, 2013

I am not a regular church-goer. However, I believe in tithing but for some reason, I find it easier to give my tithe to help family members and charitable initiatives. Is this OK or are tithes a must, whether you make other donations or not?

What's My Part? March 14, 2013

There are many verses in the Bible that talk about giving to the poor and to those in need. However, in Malachi 3:10 it says,
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the Lord of hosts,
“If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.”
We are commanded to give by tithing and also to give in other ways to help those in need. All that we have is from the Lord, including our money. He promises to not only provide what we need to give, but He also promises to bless us immensely when we are faithful to give to His house and to others who are struggling. I believe it is important to support both your church by tithing and those that are in need of food, clothes, assistance, etc. by giving to those in your life and other charitable organizations. I hope this provides some direction!

Rachel January 18, 2013

I love this verse! It’s one that I’ve known since childhood, but I never really applied it to my life until recently. First, I had to begin to understand how much God really has given to me, and when He started to show me just a glimpse of how gracious He is, I couldn’t help but want to show others His goodness by giving.